I live in London and am best known for the embarrassing things I used to say when I was an activist who thought the Internet would change the world for the better. And for persuading Hugh Grant to join Twitter.
Student protests logically progressed to lobbying in UK and EU Parliament. Then my digital / millennial ‘expertise’ took me to consulting with startups in Silicon Valley and London. I finally settled down and became a senior social media and branded content person for agencies, brands and charities.
And then I started to focus on telling my own stories.
Inspired by my work in politics and social media, and a court case that changed my life, I tell stories about women working through their darkness to make an impact on the world – always with humour, hope and heart. Write what you know, as they say.
Here’s an overview of my key projects:
- I’m developing an original cli-fi series called Strand with Fingerprint Content, founded by John Kerry, former Secretary of State. This is based on my feature, Life’s Work, which they optioned. (Read more about that project on WorldScreen and ScreenDaily)
- My dramedy pilot Saturnine was nominated for the Edinburgh TV Festival / TV Foundation New Voice Awards 2021 in the ‘new comedy script’ category.
- My teen drama pilot Treasure reached the final 30 of the Cannes Film Festival / The Black List residency 2021, the final 50 for BBC Writersroom drama 2020, and the Austin Film Festival second round 2020. It has also been fast-tracked by the Black List website to the Austin TV Festival pitch fest semi-finals 2021.
- I’m developing Close To Me, a high end ‘book club’ style fiction podcast, with director Emily Ling Williams and Salad Days, a short film with director Maya Zupano.
- Many more featuring astrology, trains, influencers, cults and protest cliques 🥀
Get in touch to discuss, or contact my agent – Mark Brennan at United Agents
- My short sci-fi story, Two AI Walk Into a Bar, came 3rd in the Bartleby Snopes dialogue only contest and is published in their final printed journal issue (2017).
- My YA / sci-fi mash-up story, The Places We Go, placed in the top 5 of the Retreat West contest (2018).
- My one-woman short play Tangled White Wires, performed at Brave New World at the Arcola Theatre (2018).
READING & REVIEWS
- I write book reviews and essays and interview authors for The Book Slut.
- I’m a reader for the Austin Film Festival.
- I often give notes on novels and scripts for friends and contacts. Email me if you have a project you’d like feedback on.
CREATIVE & STRATEGIC WORK
I still work with brands and agencies on a freelance basis, usually on building a strong personality and voice for social media, as well as long and short-form copywriting. Key clients have included Nike Foundation, Google, Baileys, Virgin Trains, Universal Pictures, Toshiba, EE, Canon, Pottermore, Lumos, Mastercard. Click here to find out more about my work.
Click on my links below to find out more about me. If you don’t want to click on any links and would rather just chat or see a portfolio, email me at jessica.m.riches (at) gmail (dot) com