I live in London and am best known for the embarrassing things I used to say when I was an activist who thought Twitter would change the world. I graduated from student activism to lobbying in Westminster and Brussels. Then my digital / millennial expertise took me to consulting with startups in Silicon Valley and London. I finally settled down and became a senior social media and branded content person for agencies, brands and charities.
Now I’m more focused on telling my own stories.
Inspired by my work in politics and social media, and a court case that changed my life, my writing revolves around the relationship between humans and technology, and the rules and authorities that govern this. I veer towards character-driven mystery box drama about diverse women who say funny, poetic things, and are often sad but still want to change the world. Write what you know, as they say.
WRITING SCRIPTS & BOOKS
For screenplays, here’s an overview of my key projects:
- My climate sci-fi feature Life’s Work was optioned by Fingerprint Content and we’re developing it into a TV series called Strand, executive produced by John Kerry, former Secretary of State.
- My teen drama pilot Treasure reached the final 2% of the BBC Writersroom 2020 and the Austin Film Festival second round. It’s loosely based on my one-woman short play Tangled White Wires, performed at Brave New World at the Arcola Theatre.
- Many more featuring astrology, trains, influencers, cults and protest cliques. I’m always delighted to discuss and am actively looking for representation and collaborators. 🥀
For books, I’m working on some excited projects, represented by Amanda Annis at Trident Media Group.
READING & REVIEWS
- I write book reviews and essays and interview authors for The Book Slut.
- I’m a reader for the Austin Film Festival.
- I often give notes on novels and scripts for friends and contacts. Email me if you have a project you’d like feedback on.
CREATIVE & STRATEGIC WORK
I still work with brands and agencies on a freelance basis, usually on building a strong personality and voice for social media, as well as long and short-form copywriting. Key clients have included Nike Foundation, Google, Baileys, Virgin Trains, Universal Pictures, Toshiba, EE, Canon, Pottermore, Lumos. Click here to find out more about my work.
Click on my links below to find out more about me. If you don’t want to click on any links and would rather just chat or see a portfolio, email me at jessica.m.riches (at) gmail (dot) com